The election is just around the corner — and every vote for public transportation counts. Local measures are often passed — or defeated — by a slim margin, so if your ballot has a regional transportation measure, be sure to vote on it.
To help you show your support for public transportation — and raise awareness among voters in your community and online networks—Voices for Public Transit has created an Election Toolkit 2016. As a reminder, the toolkit includes:
- A window sign to display your support for public transportation
- A flyer that helps you educate other voters about public transit
- Social media shareable graphics to spread the word on social media
We want to especially highlight the importance of making use of the Toolkit’s social media graphics. With more people spending time online and on their mobile devices, social media is one of the best ways to spread our message encouraging voters to support public transit at the polls. There are two easy steps you can take:
- Change Your Profile Picture — Download and change your profile picture to our special “I’m Voting for Public Transportation!” graphic to highlight your support among your online circles. Every time you post or tweet, your profile picture will show your support for public transportation.
- Share a Graphic — Social media posts earn more attention when they include an image. We’ve created two images to share with your online networks. It’s a good idea to add your own message in the post, too.
Given the continuous coverage of the presidential race, it’s easy to forget that millions of Americans will be voting on local issues as well. By sharing Voices for Public Transit’s election graphics, you’ll remind your online networks that we have a chance to guide the future of transportation at the ballot box by voting for public transportation on November 8.